Frequently Asked Questions



Q.  What is Cost of Living Allowance (COLA)?

A.  COLA is an allowance paid to all service members stationed on Okinawa.  Inbound personnel will either receive COLA with dependents, COLA without dependents, or COLA barracks.  This allowance is based on a price index and is set using current exchange rates.  COLA can and often does fluctuate monthly as the dollar strengthens and weakens against the Yen.  You can use the COLA Rate Query link to check your specific allowance.  For more information concerning COLA allowances follow the FAQ link below.


      COLA Rates Query

      COLA FAQ  

Q.  What is Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)?

A.  TLA is an allowance generally paid to accompanied members arriving on Okinawa who will be residing in government housing (not BOQ/BEQ) or searching for quarters in the local community.  TLA is authorized to partially reimburse members for the extraordinary expense stemming from the use of temporary lodging in conjunction with a PCS.  The amount payable will be the cost of lodging plus the current M&IE rate for Okinawa.  The maximum period for arrival TLA is 30 days.  The document below provides a current list of approved TLA lodging facilities aboard Okinawa.


      TLA FAQ 

      Transit Lodgin g Facility Info



Q.  What is Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)?

A.  OHA is paid to members who are authorized to reside in the local community.  OHA serves the same purpose as BAH, however there are several key differences.  OHA is only payable up to your written lease amount.  Dual active duty will split the allowance in half.  The link below can help you check your current OHA rental ceiling.


      OHA Rates Query 

      OHA FAQ

3d Marine Logistics Group